In my last post, I described how Lu's hectic schedule encouraged us to have a frank discussion about balancing the stress of work with the importance of our marriage. While I noted that the tables would turn in my direction at some point in the near future, I had no idea how near the future would be!
As much as I enjoy the life of a graduate student, I've realized that academia doesn't give me the structure and variety that I need to be personally-fulfilled. I decided to apply for a summer internship in the field of consulting with a top firm. This firm is known for its rigorous selection process, which includes four rounds: an application screening, a problem solving test and initial evaluation, a regional interview, and an office interview.
However, with me being on "academic time," I didn't realize how quickly this process happens. I submitted my application just over two weeks ago, I found out that I was moved to the next round last week, and I have to prepare for the test... in two days!
On top of that, this test is seemingly impossible to pass -- 26 questions in 60 minutes, many of them involving math and reasoning skills, plus reading charts, graphs, and case backgrounds. To add another piece to the puzzle, if I pass this part, then the next round of interviews involves business cases. I haven't even thought about cases in seven years!!
Okay, deep breath. The great news is that I have a ton of resources to help me out. The firm gives us a practice test and a coaching guide, Lu's best man also used to work at this firm, and I have friends in the business school who are familiar with doing cases and have great jobs lined up for them in consulting.
The not-so-great news is that this has been semi-overwhelming. I don't know where to start first and trying to do a little bit of everything is making my head spin, but in a good way -- if that makes sense. :-)
Well, yesterday morning Lu decided to go to school a bit later. We went to the gym, showered, had a nice breakfast together, and then I received a package in the mail... a surprise from Lu.
Lu has always been big on just because gifts -- flowers, candy, cards, etc. However, this gift blew everything out of the water. Lu literally gave me inspiration.
Each day, I can select one of 99 engraved bamboo sticks with quotes that are encouraging and inspirational.
| Daily Inspiration |
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Ouch, but oh-so appropriate. This process might be hectic, but I believe in myself. If this the path God wants me to take, then I am not inferior. I will succeed.
0 comments:
Posting Komentar