Rabu, 17 Agustus 2011

hitting the links, squashing the bugs

I spent an hour this morning reading a week's worth of blogs--catching up on birthdays, home improvement projects, camp kids, college kids, vacation news and garden talk. Like GOP candidates, I've been (wait for it...) to Iowa to visit Mr. D's hometown and display my inner tigress to a broader audience. I didn't discuss the economy much at all. I participated in a best shot tournament, generally a situation where I sit in the golf cart until I'm required to putt. Imagine my dismay when on the first hole both men on our team shanked the ball. I pulled out my driver and took a deep breath, prepared for public humiliation as I swung at my ball (a Calaway i(s) for those of you who care about these things). Well, I crushed that ball like a pro! In 18 holes my team only used 1 of my putts, but many of my drives and chips. I was a smashing success at Sunday's event. Seriously--I had the Longest Drive at a golf outing, people! Longest Drive! Well...technically I didn't win it because I teed off from the ladies' tee box, but the distance still totally counted.



Wouldn't it be great if I started dressing up Old School on the links?



Upon re-entry from my golfing getaway in Iowa, I identified the source of the funky smell in both my kitchen AND my garage. In both cases, the Stench of Rotting Death came from that tray beneath the fridge (what? don't you have a beer fridge in your garage?). Armed with bleach water and a spray bottle, we can breathe easy once more.



Beetles have infested my squash again this year. Even when I let a spot lie dormant for TWO YEARS, the darned things found my zucchini and pumpkins. I killed legions of beetles with my bare hands and dragged the vines beyond helping to the fire pit, but I fear all is lost. Next year I WILL have vengeance. And zucchini until first frost. Bet on it.



In 80 days I'll get my 2nd degree black belt. Seems like just yesterday I was sweating my way to my 1st degree. The flat gravel road my MIL lives on provided good training ground for my 3 mile run. No aches or pains to report, even my rolled ankle has healed satisfactorily.



Thus ends my report of the past week.



Spill it, reader. What have you squashed or smashed this week?





0 comments:

Posting Komentar