Senin, 29 September 2008

Tell them Mrs. Weasley knit it

While the thermometer dropped 30 degrees and the clouds rolled in, I hunkered down with Foyle's War, Doc Martin and my knitting needles. A hobby well suited for cool weather, and this time I have a project with a deadline.

Mr. T wants to be Harry Potter this Halloween. Not his first choice of costume, but because of our school's ban on masks and weapons, his first ten choices were a bust. (And can I mention how TOTALLY LAME those rules are? In a rural district, a kid can't even dress like a deer hunter with a fake cardboard gun in hand because, "Oh no! Someone might get the wrong idea! And no light sabers or swords either!" But little girls can dress like tramps, sluts, Bratz and stereotypical Disney princesses without anyone worrying about the message sent by bright blue eyeshadow and miniskirts and cleavage.) I digress...

We can embellish our Hogwarts robe, wand (a weapon? Probably, but I'm sending it along because I'm itching for a fight these days) and glasses with a handknit scarf in Gryffindor colors! We can buy one for $20.00 on the internet (not a land of bargains in this case) or knit one up myself for $3.00 and provide myself with hours of entertainment. We all win because Mr. T will have a totally awesome costume and I have a creative outlet.


The scarf after 2 Ace of Cakes, 1 Doc Martin, 1 Foyle's War and Ice Age.

So I knit away, giddy with my progress up and around Mr. T's neck and with all my favorite shows returning with new episodes (Pushing Daisies! The Office!). It almost makes up for the loss of my favorite popcorn, salad dressing and spaghetti sauce guy (oh, he made some damn fine films, too). Maybe Mr. G would like a knitted Spidey suit for Halloween...I can get more red yarn and dig out some black...


This is some guy named Mark Newport who knits superhero suits.

0 comments:

Posting Komentar