Minggu, 16 September 2012

signs of fall

I sucked it up, unclenched my grasp on the shreds of summertime and began closing up the pool.    It pained me to stack the chairs, but dagnabbit, I'm leaving the hammock in place for another month!  I also began yanking out the dried out and dead plants from the vegetable garden.  The watermelon that grew never ripened.  I carved open the largest one, slightly bigger than a football, and it was white, full of seeds and tasted weird.  Watermelon FAIL.

I also tore apart the small pumpkin patch, trekked the vines to the fire pit and artistically arranged the pumpkins in my front yard. Everything's tinged with gold around here, and the green is fading fast. 


On a recent trek through the prairie I caught this guy, busy as a bee.  Actually, he IS a bee.  The bees, grasshoppers, flies, dragonflies, beetles and box elder bugs are out in force.  Thanks to the dry weather, the mosquitoes aren't bad at all. We have some gorgeous cranes hanging out on the back forty and I'm seeing more squirrels than ever before.  And the birds!  If you're a birder, you'd love to visit me.

Another sure sign of fall is hunting.  This sign in a yard up the road from us really cracked me up:


A sign of fall and phonetic spelling.


0 comments:

Posting Komentar