Kamis, 02 Juni 2011

profoundly grateful

The 2nd grade class party in our back yard went without a hitch--despite the gusty wind, it was warm and sunny and every kid had a great time. I'm not a natural entertainer, but the effort was worth it when I heard a day later how one of the boys had never been invited to a party before in his life and was so excited to be included. I almost sobbed hearing this. Mr. B has got the biggest heart and includes everybody and this kid felt welcome and included--and he is a really sweet kid, but the kids with Autism don't generally get party invitations (sad to say). Knowing what a class pool party did for this one boy reminded me to try more to do this kind of thing. And it made me proud to have a son who thinks of others.

Lilacs in bloom.

Mr. T was voted "most improved" in his class. This year at the parochial school has been the most amazing blessing. Not only has his confidence grown, he's excelling in a school that matches his learning style. He brought home all A's and B's, something that hasn't happened before. Not a single teacher this year complained to me that they "don't know what to do about Mr. T." All I heard were complements about his effort and his personality. His faith has grown as he learns about Catholicism and how it does and doesn't match up with what I've taught him--the questions he asks are rooting him solid for bigger storms someday. He knows what he believes and why--what a gift!

It's an awesome thing to sit with Mr. D at night and talk about our sons. I feel terribly lucky to have a husband with whom I can natter on and on about our children. No one else loves them like we do, no one else wants to talk about Team Testosterone like the two of us--and we have one another. If I were a single mom or divorced, I'd miss the intimacy we share as we discuss their triumphs and struggles and growth. Their grandmas, my friends, our neighbors don't adore them or know them like we do and it's pretty dang swell to have the conversations Mr. D and I have.

The school year is over. Summer vacation starts at 3:00. Hooray!

0 comments:

Posting Komentar