Kamis, 30 Desember 2010

hitting the hill

We're lucky enough to live about 5 minutes from a fantastic sledding hill. Several times during the winter we'll load up the Momvan and head over to take advantage of the snowy hills. The climb up is kind of long and sometimes steep,

but the exhilaration of flying back down is worth the effort.

Sometimes kids will make jumps. Yesterday we found a whole series of them, the final hump large enough to send a sledder airborne.

Team testosterone looked like penguins, gliding over each bump like they were born to do it.

They begged me to take a turn, but this mama's no idiot. She used to sled over those jumps, and they are a lot of fun. It's the landing that gives her trouble. That bone-jarring contact with the frozen ground sends all her vertebrae into the wrong slots and has her making a phone call to a chiropractor within a few days. I steadfastly refused. I slid down the hill where I couldn't see any jumps built up in the snow.


Unfortunately, my sled had some kind of magnetic attraction to that largest bump at the bottom and I kept ending up near it. Usually I was able to correct my course by dragging one foot or the other--or I'd bail out before hitting that huge hump of snow. On one of my runs on the Flying Saucer, I had spun around so I couldn't see where I was going. Next thing I knew, I was off the ground and hurtling midair. I crashed onto my back after doing a complete flip, limbs, Flying Saucer, and my hat flying every which way.

On my next run, after my vision cleared and I'd assured myself that I had full range of motion, I chose a virgin stretch of snow far away from the child-constructed jumps. Safe, right?

Not really. The lip of the front of my sled snagged into the loose snow and halfway down the hill I got flipped ass-over-teakettle--a complete somersault with my sled before landing in a heap. As it turned out, there were no bunny hills for me to enjoy.

I didn't want to end up in traction, so I pulled out my camera and did what any good mama should have been doing in the first place. It killed time until Team Testosterone declared they were ready for hot chocolate.


When we return to the sledding hill, I'm wearing a crash helmet.

Spill it, reader. Do you sled? If not, what is your snow sport of preference?

Remember, December's FABULOUS is a trio of handmade things: raspberry jam (homemade and homegrown), wool hand mitts and good-for-you granola. Each comment in the comment box is an entry to win. I'll pick a lucky winner Monday!

0 comments:

Posting Komentar