Senin, 23 Agustus 2010

The Ring Check

In the last four months, more guys have hit on me than at any other time in my life. And it's not just the typical mid-twenties to mid-thirties, attractive, young black professionals that constituted my pre-Lu dating life.

Nope, I've been approached by everyone from a 16-year-old football player to a 65-year-old  retired banker. At Starbucks, at the grocery store, or just hanging out on campus -- all races, ages, and professions have suddenly taken an interest.

Here's a scenario from yesterday:


I'm walking Maggie down the street when a taxi pulls up beside me. The 30-something, slightly overweight but semi-attractive driver smiles at me and says, "Hi! What a cute dog you've got!"


I cautiously lower my guard a bit but still lightly brush my pocket to check for my pepper spray. (I really don't like when cars slow down when I'm walking on the street -- not to mention most serial killers are white, male 30-somethings in the Midwest. Besides, he has a good cover as a taxi driver. Paranoid much? Yes, I know.)

"Thanks!"


"You're welcome. It's such a gorgeous day to take a walk. The sun's shining, a breeze is blowing."


"Yeah, it really is a perfect day."


"Yep, couldn't ask for more. Well, actually I could, but given the ring on your left hand I know I'd be turned down. Have a great day!"

Then he drives off.

Huh? Did that really just happen?!

More and more, men have come up to me with these pseudo-pick up lines or just commented on how beautiful I am out of nowhere. Then they just end the conversation and get on with their day.

Before I was engaged, guys would approach me when I was out with friends, or they'd strike up a conversation in the coffee shop. It'd always end with them asking for my phone number or sliding me one their business cards.

[Side note: I really hate the whole "Here's my card" thing. I realize it's supposed to be smooth and convey "I'm kind of a big deal" (emphasis added);. but it comes off like a business transaction or, even worse, a proposition. I especially despise when there's an impressive-sounding, but semi-ambiguous title on the card. Example: Sound engineer. Puh-leeze!! That means you probably make beats in your apartment, if not your parents' basement, in your spare time.... Trust me, guys, you're only going to attract the gold-diggers. If you're genuinely interested in a woman, exchange numbers and follow up with her.]

Back to my point: this is a whole new song and dance. The reason? My engagement ring.


My conclusion is that men realize I'm off-limits. Therefore, they can compliment me or even be a little flirtatious with no consequences. If I turn them down, it's not a blow to their self-esteem. I'm obviously taken.

Most men will even mention my non-single status during our brief exchange in the form of "your fiancé/husband is a lucky guy," "no disrespect because I see that you're spoken for...", and (my favorite) "I won't go any further -- unless your ring isn't real, or you're divorced, or maybe widowed?"

To be totally honest, I like the ring check. It's definitely an unexpected bonus of being engaged. At "worst," it feels good to be complimented out of the blue. At best, I get a funny story.

0 comments:

Posting Komentar