We knew it would be bad--standing water everywhere. The past few summers have been good, barely a pesky mosquito except at dusk when they line up like Blue-Hairs at The Golden Corral Buffet. But this year? I can't even get into my garden without marinating in Deep Woods OFF. I brush aside the bean leaves and the air is filled with little mosquitoes I've disturbed.
Yesterday it was 86 degrees and muggy. I donned long sleeves, jeans, a hat and my green boots. I sprayed down and took a deep breath. The water has receded enough to try to cross the creek with the four-wheeler. I made it back where Mr. D and Mr. T had seen the wild blackberries 2 months ago, but all I found were mosquitoes. Mosquitoes breeding, humming, feeding, divebombing every square inch of my face and body. No blackberries.
So I returned to the house to weed the potager and pick zucchini, beans and tomatoes. The mosquitoes were just as awful there because our sump pump drains to the lowest spot--right before the potager. Thank goodness for the stepping stones or I'd have to slog through mud to reach it. And above each stone is a cloud of buggy madness. I think a moquito even bit me on my left eyeball. That was the only spot I didn't spray with OFF--my eyeballs.
It's no use trying to have fun outside on a cloudy day or when it starts getting dark. I've really never seen anything like it. We can't have a bonfire all summer because the pit is still full of water. We can't swim in the evening because the mosquitoes attack us. We can't play in the yard when the sun's not out because, like vampires, the mosquitoes are happy to swarm everywhere. And it's been hazy all week.
About the only thing to do is stay inside and catch up with housework and correspondence.
On really cute notecards.
Like these:

Lucky for you, Erin makes these incredibly cute notecards over at Ink Obsession Designs. Even luckier, I'm giving away a box of her FABULOUS notecards to one lucky reader. Leave a comment and you're entered to win. Leave a comment every day this week, you're entered 4 times to win. I'll pick a lucky winner on Sunday.
Spill it, reader. What's bugging you?
0 comments:
Posting Komentar