Selasa, 06 Juli 2010

midsummer madness

This is my favorite picture from the Fourth. Mr. G and Miss L. are playing together--which has never happened before, even though they're both five. Look closely and see how the Ben 10 aliens are interacting with the Disney Princesses. Too sweet.

A state-wide smoking ban finally went into effect here. Wisconsin's been the ashtray of the midwest for years. I tended bar for five years and inhaled my fair share of secondhand smoke--you do build up a tolerance, but when you're never around it, that tolerance fades. Now, if I go into a restaurant that allows smoking, I smell it right away. I've become pretty spoiled as more places ban smoking--used to be you'd need a shower to get the stink out of your hair and you'd have to hang your clothes outside after going out. These days smelling like smoke is the exception to the rule. Hooray!

A robin made a nest on top of my potting bench and her eggs hatched last week. I never knew robins would have babies in the middle of summer. Anyway, I've created an elaborate barricade to protect her from our cat--with a strategically placed watering can (full) and several old boards and doors. An impenetrable fortress around this nursery. The mama can get over the top to find food for her babies, but Violet the Semi-Stray Cat can't get in for a snack of baby robins. Technically this is disrupting the food chain, but I view robins differently than I do mice or rabbits.


The boys actually saw them hatching out and took pictures.

There are Mad Men marathons all month on Mondays. Oh the sheer pleasure of it! Team Testosterone bucked having to go to bed while it was still daylight, but this mama needs a little Don Draper to cool things off on a steamy July evening. Windows wide open, ceiling fan blowing on me, my knitting on my lap, ice water within easy reach. The humidity didn't bother me at all.

Green Girl, can I buy you a drink?

Mr. T is supposed to go to camp today, but he's complaining of shoulder pain--thank God we got him an appointment to check it out before his ride leaves later today. Now we have to hope he's still good to go--he'll be SO disappointed if he can't. He's packed and ready--just in case!

Spill it, reader. What are you doing to keep cool in this steamy July? I'll be by the pool if you need me.



0 comments:

Posting Komentar