Senin, 21 Juni 2010

longest day

Happy Summer Solstice! I tried Google images for a picture for this post--either they were incredibly inappropriate (some men are waaaaay too proud of their anatomy, people!) or obscure (kayaks? Justin Long? too confusing). But Solstice it is, and in my neck of the woods this Official First Day of Summer began at 6:00 with Mr. G's smiling face (although dusk actually got started at 4:33) and won't end until the sunlight fades into black sometime around 9:30 tonight. According to my research, tomorrow will be the same length of day, so if you can't celebrate Solstice today, you should have time tomorrow. 16 hours and 45 minutes, to be exact. About the same time I spent in labor with Mr. T.

Today we'll celebrate by picking strawberries. Somewhere else. Because I thought I was so smart last summer when I dug up our strawberry patch and filled it in with soil from the creek bed to enrich it. What I actually did was introduce a whole bunch of invasive stinging nettle and reed canary grass seeds which have successfully taken over the strawberry patch again, making it look even worse than before. So this summer I'll have to kill the entire patch and smother it with newspapers and a compost soil mixture I bought from a landscaper and replant the whole works. In essence: I'm really dumb. But fortunately we can still find sustainably grown strawberries a short drive from home.

Spill it, reader: what's on your Solstice agenda?

0 comments:

Posting Komentar