n. a person who strongly admires or is devoted to England, its people, customs, influence, etc.
My name is Green Girl and I am an Anglophile. Been one as long as I can recall. Just about every single thing English charms me. I'd live there in an instant, sadly Mr. D's office has no plans of Eastward expansion. I'm wild about:
* royalty
* practical shoes & tweed jackets
* Wellies!
* museums & monuments
* bright red phone booths and double-decker buses
* English gardens
* dry, wry, witty humour (Wodehouse, Lear, Austen, Wilde and yes, even Shakespeare)
* really, all British Literature--Christie, Greene, Bronte, Dickens, Holden, Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling, Congreve, Fielding, Shelley, Walpole
* ales, porters, stouts
* clotted cream
* long rambling walks in the countryside
* superior TV shows, fantastic movies
* cool slang
* oh heck, their accent makes lame slang sound brilliant
* gorgeous movie stars (Colin Firth makes me all swoony and that Dench dame is my model of how to age well)
* quaint towns with gorgeous old churches, mossy graveyards and musty pubs
* history
* castles
* the classy design of the Union Jack
* stiff upper lips and that Keep Calm & Carry On attitude
* propriety
* tea
I think I first pledged my adoration for this country when I read The Secret Garden and even though I think other countries are very nice, none are as lovely as England. Which is one of the other reasons I so enjoyed The Blue Virgin. M.K. Graff is a shameless Anglophile and her setting reeks of all that good Oxford, England stuff that our people like--cups of tea, shortbread and cobblestone streets. Leave a comment any time this week for a chance to win this month's FABULOUS: The Blue Virgin by M.K. Graff.
Spill it, reader. What kind of phile are you?
0 comments:
Posting Komentar