Head over to Canned Laughter where TX Poppet has posted the Reading Is Sexy meme--it's good stuff from a fellow bibliophile!
I lost myself at Boy Scout camp this weekend--well, I got lost. First, Mr. D's GPS sent me on the most twisted, circuitous route possible. I actually drove in two entire circles, seeing more of Waupaca County than I ever knew possible. Once there, I drove along miles of dirt roads where I saw nothing but empty picnic tables propped against trees and I heard nothing but the wind through the pines. The campground covered acres of forest and there were no signs of civilization other than the occasional blue arrow nailed to a tree--though where the blue arrows led I've still no clue.
Eventually I found a huge ditch where about 50 cars were parked. Surely people were nearby! I parked, got out and started walking. And walking. And walking. I couldn't even smell campfire smoke or hear the shouts of over 300 Cub Scout/Webelos who were allegedly at this campground. The road twisted, forked, turned and forked again. The theme music from every scary movie ran through my mind, but I found the fear of isolation more threatening than a sudden attack. At least if I was attacked, I wouldn't be alone. Plus I have all my mad karate skillz to pull me through, right? At one point I called Mr. D (cell phone reception and a full battery!). I thought I heard voices while telling him how nerve-wracking the experience was. It turned out to be the TV Mr. D was watching at home. A two-mile hike later (at which point I was certain I probably couldn't find the parking spot where I left my ride out) I took this picture to document where I was:
Yes, I saw this for about 40 minutes before I found another person.
Yes, I saw this for about 40 minutes before I found another person.Obviously I found Mr. T before I got panicky enough to call Search and Rescue and we enjoyed the latest series of Rituals in Scouting together.
Relief flooded through me when I saw Mr. T's smiling face.
Relief flooded through me when I saw Mr. T's smiling face.And if that wasn't enough of a thrill this weekend, I planted zinnias in the front flower bed--a huge chance because nobody plants before Mother's Day around here. I know, I'm a foolish girl.
0 comments:
Posting Komentar