Rabu, 25 Maret 2009

sizzle

Yesterday we were running early for swimming lessons and I considered the purchase of a good drive thru latte on the way--but thought in the name of frugality and thrift I'd drink the crappy free coffee provided for parents at the swim school.
No more crappy free coffee. I spent an hour regretting that decision.
Then after feeling all that because I helped Mr. T understand algebra, he brought back his homework. Apparently 4th grade algebra? Is something I am earning a "C" in.
I went to bed feeling humbled and woke up to Mr. G running a fever of 102 and complaining of all sundry of ailments from aching knees to aching ear to "I wanna watch PBS KIDS!" I could only do so much for him at 2:00 a.m.

I switched on the radio this morning to NPR's report on the Quiverfull movement. My mind is still reeling. I'd heard a bit about this months ago while skipping through radio stations, but hadn't given it much thought. Apparently this ummm...sect? Cult? Movement? is 10,000 members strong and (ahem) growing. I love it when people take obscure ideas out of the Bible and make up entire doctrines on them. Quiverfull totally discredits the fact that their key verse was written by a king with a palace full of wives and concubines filling his quiver. It ignores the fact that "be fruitful and multiply" was a command given to a barren world to an agrarian society prone to man-to-man combat in order to defend their land holdings. The Quiverfull folks believe they'll take over Congress someday and overrun "sinful cities like San Francisco." Their logic astounds me--because based on sheer numbers, people? We'd see more women, Hispanics and African-Americans in public office. Methinks world domination's best weapon might NOT be the womb. Just sayin'.
And the sexism of this doctrine! The Old Testament is filled with wombs open and shut by will--a woman with NO kids was shunned, a woman with no sons was pitied and despised--is this also part of the Quiverfull doctrine? What is their response to infertility? Daughters? The woman who should stop having babies or it'll endanger her life?
I do ponder the power of God to will or not will children's into one's life--I grant it's a HUGE leap of faith to trust Him with the numbers. But plenty of Christians undergo fertility treatments--is that any more against His will than using birth control? Is it wrong to employ our modern day knowledge in family planning? I find myself both facinated and deeply offended while contemplating this report. And just how many are in a quiverful anyway? Is the size of the quiver or the size of the arrow that we're counting?
All this pregnancy chatter is making me hungry. I'm going to go fry an egg on Mr. G's forehead for breakfast.

0 comments:

Posting Komentar