First, you must stop by Eco Women: Protectors of the Planet this week--it was a year ago this week that Jen on the Edge and I launched a site for green people like us--we eat some meat and shave our legs--we're not super-crunchy granola people. We're regular folk with an awareness and consciousness about living more environmentally friendly lifestyles through doing a little more every day. And we're giving stuff away this week. If that can't convince you to drop by and leave a comment, I don't know what will.
Back already? I saw that Paul Harvey died this weekend. When I think of the "markers" of adulthood when I was a child, they included Paul Harvey telling us the news on AM radio, Readers Digest, men wearing 3-piece suits to the office and the sour chemical aroma of home permanents. I liked how he'd start a story and wrap it up at the end of his program--that phrase, "The rest of the story." I liked the wry humor in his voice and even when I later learned he was conservative, he wasn't a hate-mongering a**hole like most of AM radio's voices today. He was a gentleman, and the world is a little poorer today for his leaving it.
I'm really sorry for my friends in the South--it's one thing to get hammered by a late winter smackdown (thanks, Mrs. G, for that image) when you live in Wisconsin, but a foot of snow when you live in North Carolina? That's harsh. My senses are numb from enduring 4 months of cold and snow. I'm desensitized to the puff of my breath hitting the frigid air every time I exhale. But I do feel bad for my more delicate neighbors in the South this week.
I'll leave you with a cute kid story. Mr. G crawls in bed with me at 6:00 every morning to watch PBS Kids--we snuggle, pet Violet and watch Curious George together and every morning during the week he asks if we can go to the Rainforest Cafe (proud sponsor). Today he saw the ad for the Rainforest Cafe and pointed, yelling, "Look Violet! There's your family!" Sure enough--a couple of lions were stalking through the safari. "You have lots of people in your family, jaguars, cheetahs, tigers--they're your brothers and sisters." That's a family reunion that wouldn't end well for our girl, fierce huntress that she is.
This is Green Girl. Good day!
0 comments:
Posting Komentar