Rabu, 04 Maret 2009

"cards are war, in disguise of a sport" --Charles Lamb

Yesterday I went way out on a limb and the comments you left really validated me--it still amazes me how encouraging a space the Blogosphere is. I almost started to cry. But I didn't because that's not how I roll. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (Huge Shout Out to the cryers, weepers and sobbers--my BFF Sarah among them--seriously, the girl cries a few times a day! I don't always get it, but that's how she rolls.)

Sunday I asked Mr. B if he wanted to invite a buddy over for a play date. After cataloging his friends through a method involving birthday party venues and basketball, he chose a new friend named Petey. "Is Petey in your class?" Nope. "Do you know his last name?" Nope. "Ask him Monday and I'll track down his mommy." Mr. B returned from school with this: I talked to Petey and found out his last name. It's 'Reedingberd." "What's that, buddy?" Weedingbird. You know. Like a bird and it's reading? (or weeding--I'm not always sure because Mr. B has a mighty speech impediment.)

I tore open the school directory and went to the obvious options: Weyenberg, Wittenberg, Vandenberg, Reeder--there were no names under R or W that even came close. I asked Mr. B which teacher Petey had--Mrs. SL. After school I tracked her down and asked about a kid named Petey--last name ??? Sonnenberg. Huh? Sorry, Mr. B, but you're not even close.

In other Team Testosterone News, Mr. T came to us today needing $16. To cover a bet he made on the playground. Involving a card game. Tonight his dad has poker. I'm sure there's no link. But we did have a great conversation about betting etiquette--and I admire my kid's attitude. He hadn't lost yet, but he wanted to be able to pay up in case he did. He didn't want to be a whelcher and he didn't want anyone to say they couldn't trust him. We have recommended he place $1 bets from now on.

I just finished The Reluctant Fundamentalist at 6:30 this morning--the last 10 pages had my heart racing with suspense. Either because I was ignorant of it being previously mentioned or out of sheer coincidence, the story takes place in Lahore which is all over the news this week. Rather uncanny. It's a read I definitely recommend.

Speaking of violent terrorist attacks, my sons have a new game. They spit their Nerf bullets at each other. Apparently mouths are easier and faster to reload than the stockpile of Nerf guns sitting in the toy room/Armory. Consequently, foam pellets are all over my dang house and I have to hear the constant "thwoop" of their mouths blowing out their ammunition. It almost makes a girl miss the loud clashing of light sabres.

0 comments:

Posting Komentar