I spent some quality time this week with my seed magazines (garden porn to those of you fellow green thumbs). Lusting after beautiful flowers and big round tomatoes, juicy ripe berries and the firm handful of a thick cucumber makes an afternoon pass fast. Some catalogs I discard immediately--I know their promises of summer bounty are too good to be true--their blueberries are obviously photoshopped and airbrushed to perfection. Some catalogs I set aside because I know their stock is out of my league--orchids and roses are for a better class of gardener than I am. The seeds that come from a Wisconsin company is the hardy, low-maintenance stuff I'm after.
You tease me, Rose, with your fragrant petals. But I know you're not a wash and wear kind of gal. There's dust and pruning, fertilizing and staking involved with your type.I can't get started too early on this project. Between Mr. D coaching baseball (starting March 23rd!), spring cleaning, the garden and our park and rec program starting in May, spring is a very busy time here. I found a tape measure and my Wellingtons. Then? The snow started to fall.
When I say fall, I mean fly. A white-out hit us about 2:30 yesterday. By 4:00 the news reporters were telling everyone to hunker down and stay off the roads (and out of the ditches). I watched the inches pile up on our yard and saw flashes of lightning. Thunder--during a blizzard!
Serves me right for having high hopes of getting an early start. I'm back to square one--order the seeds. I'll pace in front of the window restlessly until this snow melts away and I can get my measurements.

0 comments:
Posting Komentar