I'll open today with a head-scratcher: Yesterday while campaigning, Sarah Palin commented that she's "looking forward to debating Senator Joe Biden. I've never met him, but I've been listening to him talk since I was in 2nd grade." Her minions replied with raucous laughter (or maybe it was a laugh track playing, it's hard to tell with a radio broadcast).
Was it intended to be funny because she's so young? Or that he's so old? And if Joe Biden is so old, what does that make her running mate? What would people say if Joe Biden made a comment about Sarah Palin's age? My hunch tells me it would be viewed as sexist and patronizing. What do you think, readers?
***
A while ago Adrienne over at The Story Board tagged me--and if anyone's interested, consider yourself tagged (I hate to tag people 2 weeks in a row).
1. What are your nicknames? Mama, Mom, Mommy, Mel
2. What game show and/or reality show would you like to be on? I dream of a road trip with Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives--my favorite kind of food combined with a guy who looks like he'd be a good time.
3. What was the first movie you bought in VHS or DVD? Thelma & Louise, VHS, still have it.
4. What is your favorite scent? Lilacs in springtime.
5. If you had a million dollars that you could only spend on yourself, what would you do with it? Bring my family on a world tour--at least a year, maybe longer, visiting every continent, eating, experiencing, lingering and learning. If I had enough left over, I'd build a gazebo in the prairie.
6. What one place have you visited that you can't forget and want to go back to? I'd go back to England permanently if I could.
7. Do you trust easily? I give people the benefit of the doubt, but my eyes are wide open to a "type."
8. Do you think before you act, or act before you think? I used to act first, but now I think I think first (good grief! I think I think I think first...) probably because my life requires few quick decisions these days.
9. Is there anything that has made you unhappy these days? The idiots in Washington DC, the GOP & their loud mouthed lap dog with the rimless glasses, the end of summer, the new story hour librarian (more on her tomorrow), the lack of authentic assessment at my kids' school, my agent's inability to sell any of my books, soldiers sent to fight wars that never seem to end, the auto and oil industries, the new ad campaign by the corn industry telling people that corn syrup has nutritional value...sheesh I'm getting depressed.
10. Do you have a good body image? Generally, yes.
11. What is your favorite fruit? Apples, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries--all fruit is good.
12. What websites do you visit daily? BBC, most of the list to the right of this blog
13. What have you been seriously addicted to lately? Coffee, blogging, my new book and knitting
14. What kind of person do you think the person who tagged you is? So talented! Her drawings are amazing, she's obviously a dedicated mom and she seems like a ton of fun. I bet I'd get hoarse laughing and talking with her if we met--and I imagine I'd want to stay put.
15. What's the last song that got stuck in your head? It's Raining Men--it was on the stereo at karate class last night. Then it kind of morphed into thinking about The Fully Monty and how great that soundtrack is.
16. What's your favorite item of clothing? My Horny Toad yoga pants--so comfy they feel like I'm wearing nothing--with the advantage of preventing the backs of my thighs from sticking to the chair.
17. Do you think Rice Krispies are yummy? Yes.
18. What would you do if you saw $100 lying on the ground? Look around to see who dropped it.
19. What items could you not go without during the day? Coffee, a book to read, lip balm, NPR's Morning Edition.
20. What should you be doing right now? Getting ready to take the children to story hour at the library.
Reader, consider yourself tagged if you wish. I'm going to drag this Horny-Toad clad ass to story hour now. Ont un grand jour!
0 comments:
Posting Komentar