While watching the Olympics I always come back to the same question, how does one find out what they're so great at? Did Michael Phelps always love to swim and just know he was good at it? Or was he the product of spectacular opportunity and training? How on earth did a parent or coach look at Shawn Johnson when she was six years old and see the potential for greatness and know they should push her and keep her working at it? I belong to the "Hit or Miss School of Excellence" myself. Through classes and experiences I've exposed myself to all kinds of things and learned a) whether or not I liked them and b) whether or not I'm good at them (or, as was the case in a pottery-making class, dreadful at them). But what if I or my kids are inherently gifted at something we don't know about? Could I have a world-class equestrian on my hands but never know because we don't ride horses? Maybe Mr. B has the skills to become a NASCAR champion, but his dad plays baseball so we'll never go to the racetrack and inspire his love for his hidden talent. I might be an amazing pyrotechnician, but if I am, it'll remain undiscovered.
I know. Worry, worry, worry.
Perhaps it's easier to believe that only a few of us are gifted and the rest of us are average, living to the best of our ordinary ability while the superheroes win the medals and accolades for overachieving.
With all that said, I have received awards for BLOGGING (not for my pottery or for my fine embroidery work-hahaha). So, THANK YOU, readers and Mommy Always Wins & Mad Madge for acknowledging my effort and even my occasional achievement in the Blogosphere.
Mad Madge gave me this award:

It is " a token of one's style and substance as a blogger." Winners of the Arte Y Pico award must:
1) choose 5 blogs that you consider deserve this award for creativity, design, interesting material, and contribution to the blogging community, regardless of language.
2) publish the name of each award-winning author as well as a link to his or her blog.
3) Each award-winner must post a picture of the award and link back to the blog that has given the award.
4) Both the giver and the recipient of the award must link to the Arte y Pico blog, so everyone will know the origin of this award.
5) You must post these rules.
I'm awarding the Arte Y Pico to:
Rebecca Ramsey at Wonders Never Cease--she is wonderful and has probably received this award 10 times before, but even so, it's well-deserved. From needles to French postcards, she writes about it all.
Casdok at Mother of Shrek, who has taught me to appreciate beauty in a whole new way. Substance and style all the way.
Patience Crabstick at Fatuous Observations, who is anything but. Because of her I'm reading Do the Windows Open? and I think we are kindred spirits.
Susie from At Home With Me. Insightful does not begin to cover her writing.
Eurolush. Talk about internet eye candy! Through her eyes I'm seeing a part of the planet I've only imagined while reading Heidi.
Mommy Always Wins presented me with this:
I'm passing it along to the following brilliant bloggers who are super-achievers in my book:The Adventures of a Farmer's Wife because of her down-to-earth and down-home description of life on on the farm--and to make up for her loss of a 1st place at the county fair.
Amy's World--a fellow Eco-Woman and mother of boys. Funny & smart writing.
Peggy at Divas Seasons 2, I can count on her to make me laugh every week like I can count on my hand and get to 5.
Now, readers, I must award a time-out to bachelor #3 who is making a HUGE mess and knows better.

0 comments:
Posting Komentar