Jumat, 18 Juli 2008

Flashback Friday: The Smellomatic Version


Isn't that sweet? It's from Mommy Always Wins.

I've had smells on the brain lately, mostly bad ones. But certain smells bring me back to my childhood in a good way.

* Clover. Sitting in the backyard making chains of clover--one year I tried to break a world record for the longest clover chain. For all I know I did, does anyone hold a world record for that?

* Pipes. My best friend's dad smoked a pipe, it was a spicy-sweet smell when he did. I always had fun at her house and her family treated me kindly. It's rare now to see anyone smoke a pipe, but when I smell one, I'm transported back to Lakeshore Drive in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

* Burnt sugar. Makes me think of roasting marshmallows over fires and that, in turn, makes me think of camping trips and parties which are always good memories.

* Gasoline. It brings me into my grandpa's welding shop--a huge, dark, concrete space filled with machines and parts and the permeating smell of gasoline. The shop was always cool, my grandpa's hands always lined with grease--capable hands that fixed everything and invented anything.

* Wrigley's Doublemint Gum. Why, grandpa's gum, of course. He chewed it all the time (he never smoked) and I'd find packages of it around his shop, his house, his boat and his camper. He always shared it when I'd find a pack.

* Fresh cut grass. Charcoal grills. Chlorine. Rain. OFF. All smells of summertime when we lived in Wisconsin.

* Dead fish. Not a pleasant smell, I'll admit, but when I smelled dead fish, I knew I was near the shore of Lake Michigan or Lake Winnebago and good times lay ahead.

* The humid smell of the woods, the cool, frondy, fern-filled low areas that mist rises from. If you ride your bike on the Elroy-Sparta trail you will smell this as you approach the 3 tunnels. If I could bottle that smell, I'd wear it every day.

Spill it, readers. What smells bring you back in time?

0 comments:

Posting Komentar