Jumat, 01 April 2011

I'd have let him hunt a yeti if he asked me

When you live on 60 acres you get lots of requests from people wanting to hunt on it. A former neighbor asked us if he could hunt deer, a guy on a power line crew asked if he could hunt turkey, and one day Mr. B's best friend's dad showed up on my doorstep asking to hunt shed. He gestured to some antlers sitting on our front porch and asked if they'd come out of our woods. "Yes." Mr. P then asked, "Can I go shed hunting in your woods?"

Now, I know a thing or two about hunting and fishing. I know there's separate gun and bow seasons for deer, that turkey have two seasons and that you want to shoot them in the neck if you want to kill them in a single shot. I know white bass run on the Wolf River when the lilacs begin blooming and walleye hit hardest after the ice floes clear out of Partridge Lake. I know the best bait for ice fishing, for rainy weather, how to jig and how to bait. I worked in a bar where customers would lay their fresh-caught fish across the bar and would present me with pheasants in plastic bags as tokens of affection and I bore witness to their tales of Outdoor Living. Between my old customers, father, friends, boyfriends, Mr. D and a bowling partner I've heard enough hunting and fishing tales to fill a novel. If pressed, I could skin a rabbit. Without a second thought I could show you a dozen deer stands within a mile of my house.

In short, if it's a type of hunting, I think I know all about it.

So, when Mr. P showed up asking to go shed hunting on our property, I said, "Sure!" because he's like extended family. In fact, I even generously added, "And if you see any please feel free to shoot them! Really!"

Mr. P gave me an odd look, but thanked me and drove away. To hunt shed.

If you haven't figured out what shed hunting is yet, click here. And feel free to laugh at me as hard as Mr. P did that day. He still laughs about it and I do, too.

Spill it, reader. What did you think you know before you knew better?




0 comments:

Posting Komentar