I know it's corny, overwrought and old-fashioned, but I do. I love White Christmas. And if my watching it on AMC or on videotape in bed next to Mr. D weren't annoying enough, I recite the dialogue along with the actors. And sing all the lyrics. Painful for my life partner? You betcha. I've tried making Team Testosterone sit through it with me, but they'll have none of it. Alas, I'm destined to spend each Christmas alone murmuring under my breath classic lines like "Let's just say we're doing it for an old pal in the army" and "Vermont should be beautiful this time of year ... all that snow..." and "Mr. Wallace was just saying how remarkable it was that Benny Haynes' sisters should have eyes."
I've brought Mr. D over to Team Love Actually, though. My Christmas charity knows no limits. The fourteenth time I watched it, he came into the room, saw it and rolled his eyes. Another one of your British films, eh? But then slowly he set his book down and gave it his full attention. He enjoyed it very much, despite the story line about the guy making a play for his best friend's wife. (Mr. D has MAJOR issues with that sort of thing.) I think now that he'll recognize Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead, he'll be more forgiving. Because we all know he's just an actor playing a different role in an entirely different project, but those good vibes will spill over, right?
True, Love Actually also means Mr. D has to suffer through my incessant swooning for this guy:
He just does NOT understand it. He gets how a girl might find Brad Pitt or George Clooney attractive, but he looks at my beloved Colin and is stymied by my faithful adoration.
Mr. D, I tell him, it doesn't matter that you don't understand. It just IS.
Actually, Alan Rickman doesn't hurt the retinas too much, either.
Nor does Hugh.
Christmas Man-Candy aside, it is a fantastic movie. Lots of laughs. Clever script. Sincere performances. That wonderful observation about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. Heck, one of the characters even ends up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin!
Plus, Mr. Bean is in it.
And Emma Thompson, who every one of us would secretly love to have as a big sister.
Spill it, reader. Are you on Team Love Actually?
0 comments:
Posting Komentar