Jumat, 29 Januari 2010

much to report

It's gratifying to learn I'm not the only one with weird ocean-phobia. Don't forget to comment--today's your last chance to win January's Fabulous--I So Don't Do Spooky by Barrie Summy.

Things are heating up politically of late--I'm plotting how to Take on the Man regarding recycling and garbage pick up in My Fair City. I'm also taking a long hard look at school issues. I feel called (oh man, did I just sound like Sarah Palin there!) to do more than volunteer as Happyland PTA president...but the questions are where? what? how? I'm slowly gathering information to help me make wise and impactful decisions...

Mr. T started a youth wrestling program. By "started" I mean he's participating--he didn't get it started. Our oldest has yet to really find a passion for anything. He's been exposed to the gamut--guitar lessons, basketball, flag football, karate, soccer, baseball, swimming, Boy Scouts, cooking classes and art classes. We've bought him Legos, models to build, puzzles, books and hunting gear. This is the first time he's come home happy and enthusiastic after being made to work hard. Maybe it's because we have NO wrestling background in our household (I dated a few wrestlers back in the day...112, 119, 135 weight classes...but just because I dated wrestlers doesn't mean I ever watched a single match or anything). He's truly on his own with no real advice or guidance from us. Last night they handed out wrestling propaganda--wrestling is HUGE in this town (a legion of conference & state titles,we even boast an Olympic wrestler), and he had a poster and fan book gripped in his hands on his way out of the gym. The coaches are wonderful people, very kind, supportive and inspiring. Mr. D and I are holding our breath, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I almost hate to write about it, so desperately do I want Mr. T to get fired up about something! But so far, so good.

I've finished reading The Heiress of Water by Sandra Roderiguez Barron. Great plot, lovely writing, gave a lot to think about. I just started Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund. I was intimidated by it's length (500 pages), but it's reading quickly. I've never read anything about Marie Antoinette and I'm not disappointed by this. On deck: The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory and The Savage Garden by Mark Mills.

Lady Violet, our beloved cat, has a gentleman caller. This huge shaggy black tomcat has sat on our front porch the last couple nights serenading her. And by "serenade" I mean yowling at the top of his lungs. Violet hasn't budging from her perch on the couch. He sees her through the window and paces madly back and forth. I imagine if he's bellering "Stella! Stella!" like this old tomcat:


My, what high-waisted pants you wear, Mr. Brando.
My how the bloom fell off your rose over the years...

In domestic breakthroughs, Team Testosterone has been trained to lift the toilet seat when they pee. I cleaned bathrooms on Monday and even today the seats are clean enough to sit on! Not a dribble! Not a drop! Their aim still leaves a bit to be desired--the floor around the toilet won't earn me any bragging rights with Martha Stewart, but clean seats! A major accomplishment. Next up: learning how to shut dresser drawers after opening them. We're aiming high, people. Well, we're aiming with the seat up.

Spill it, reader. What's happening in your neck of the woods lately?

0 comments:

Posting Komentar